Monday, January 5, 2009

Tamales, Leeks and Potatoes Oh My!

One of our favorite weekend activities is going to the farmer's market. The fruit during the summer is incredible, there is simply no other word for it. Katie just told us tonight, or rather reminded us, that peaches were her favorite fruit. I don't think we missed a weekend during the last peach season.

We are also fairly loyal patrons during the winter months. A big draw for us -- tamales. They have really good tamales. On a good day Katie can finish one on her own, and these are not small tamales.


Asian pears are pretty good right now. Katie is an expert taste-tester.


On our last trip we bought some leeks and potatoes because soup sounded warm and yummy.

I like my potato leek soup chunky...


However, when I serve it to Katie like this she will pick out every small piece of "vegetable" a.k.a. anything green, in this case leeks. Because of this, I put some aside for her and puree the heck out of it, then she tends to eat it -- sometimes (if you didn't know, 3-year-olds can be fickle.)

3 comments:

dana said...

Thanks for the comment on my MADE blog.
Your family is tooooo adorable!

Jenny said...

I wish our farmer's market was open (too cold). Your soup looks delicious and know what you mean about kids picking stuff out. I swear my son has a strainer in his mouth, he could pick out the smallest piece of diced onion out of anything.

SFYoung said...

Leeks and Potato Soup, hmmmm, maybe we should switch professions??...nah my writing is C.R.A.P. <--- I spelled it so the kiddies won't know what Uncle Scott is saying : ) I'm gonna give you a ring tomorrow to chat...