Saturday, January 17, 2009

Butterflies!

This week the Little Wickies ventured out to see where the Monarch butterflies come to roost for the winter.

We hiked into the barranca to search for them.
Then we sat patiently and saw what must have been thousands of butterflies, clustered high above and fluttering about.

My pictures do not do our experience justice, so I didn't even bother to post most of them. I need to get myself a real camera some day. But trust me, it was a very pretty site.


The kids are so fun to watch together. I know Katie has fun when it's just mom and dad too, but when we go places with other kids -- the zoo, the park, adventures like this -- I'm convinced the whole experience is different for her. Katie will find the energy to walk and run a lot further -- I don't even bring a stroller for her when we go to the zoo with friends. They play games, they sing. The girls were singing their ABCs together completely convinced this would bring out more butterflies.

They find interest in things only they would find interest in. For example:

Lia yelled, "Crack!"

And, the girls immediately stopped and squatted down to investigate.


The kids prancing out toward the cliffs.
















Here is Lia being a statue (don't ask...that's what she said she was being.)

1 comment:

miyo b. said...

love it! and so funny about the "crack"