Sunday, December 7, 2008

Kaitlyn's Minnie & Goofy Party

This weekend was Katie's big Minnie & Goofy Birthday Party. And, yes, she said specifically, "those two are my favorite" when asked.

So poor Mickey, Donald, Daisy and Pluto were left out.

I thought how hard can it be to plan a Minnie & Goofy party? Well, let me tell you -- hard.

First of all, Disney character items are not that easy to find. Apparently the Disney merchandising and legal department are very protective of their beloved Mickey et al. characters and finding paraphernalia is not as simple as you would think.

Second, I've come to learn that Goofy gets very little love these days. It is almost impossible to find anything with just Goofy.

I ended up buying little Minnie headbands for the girls, and I clumsily made Goofy hats for the boys.

We did Minnie and Goofy coloring thanks to free coloring pages I found on the Internet.


We also tried to play pin the nose on Minnie.

Note: 3 and almost 3-years-olds don't quite get the concept of the game.

We ended up playing sans blindfold, which worked out fine.


We had Minnie-shaped sandwiches thanks to the cookie cutter I was able to obtain online.


And, we decorated Minnie-shaped cookies.

I know, this seems awfully similar to the Halloween cookie activity that you may have seen before on the blog, but Katie had been asking repeatedly when she could decorate cookies again.
Somehow we settled on her birthday and that girl -- who has a mind like a steal trap -- asked me last week, "Mama, we going to decorate cookies for my birthday?"

"Ummm, yes, of course honey."

I also made a culinary attempt at making Minnie and Goofy cupcakes.

Katie loves, loves, loves the singing part of her birthday.

At the end of the party, when only a few party-goers remained, the balloons came down and the kids started running around like mad punching the balloons into the air. This told me two things:

1) We served a fair amount of sugar a the party.

2) I probably didn't need to spend so much time fretting about coloring and games, all I needed to do was blow up some balloons for them.

Later that night I asked her if she had a good time on her birthday. She said "yes, I liked the cupcakes and hitting the balloons around."

See, this goes to show all you have to do is think simple when it comes to a 3-year old.

Here is the balloon-bouncing gang at the end.

Alas, the end came and the birthday girl stood at the window waving and calling her goodbyes.

6 comments:

Lana Lulu Handmade said...

Love the cupcakes, they came out great! and where did you get that dress? Too cute.

Jenn Kirk said...

Really cute! Kai would've loved the balloon bashing.

And I still can't believe our children are already 3. Three!!!

(And I followed your comment again on Cakies!)

Jenny said...

What a great party. Isn't it funny that the kids were most excited about the balloon popping? I've learned from my kids' parties that simple is better.

Unknown said...

Great pictures! I agree, KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)- kids are interested in the most arcane things. I'm going to buy Parker some new thongs for xmas-she loves them!

Good post.

Scott/Will - or whatever Laura's calling me these days

Becky said...

Lana,

bought the dress on etsy -- (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5850861), thought it would be cuter than buying her an actual Minnie costume which she originally wanted.

Kate said...

well...I think those cupcakes were impressive & I could totally tell what they were!