Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's Easy to Leave Your Heart Here

I miss this city.

We visited the bridge this week.



Katie kept asking if we "were going to China next," because she knew we were going to Chinatown like in her This is San Francisco book.

We took a stroll around Chinatown in between rain storms and picked up dim sum.

Katie is obsessed with her This is San Francisco and This is Paris books. She kept asking all week when we were going to Paris.
Every time we drove past a tall-ish building with any point to it she would yell, "hey guys, there's the Eiffel Tower!"

Here is Katie pointing out the Transamerica building a.k.a. the "Eiffel Tower"...

Maddie had some laughs with friends and family. Here she is smiling at Lyndsay...

We checked out the Exploratorium. Katie really liked it. She absolutely loved this color wall. She would stand there and ask "what color is my front side,"then she would turn around and ask "what color is my backside?"


She really got in the mix at the exhibit where you could roll marbles around a cylindrical bowl-like display. The marbles would come out the bottom and Katie repeatedly squirmed and dove her way through kids twice her age to get more marbles.




She really liked the exhibit where you "wired" things together to make a light bulb work...

Katie also liked playing with the magnet display...


For future reference: do not go to the new California Academy of Sciences on the free Wednesday -- it is absolute chaos.

Apart from it being complete madness in there Katie enjoyed a couple of the exhibits like the "stomp on bugs" display they had there.


And in the end, after all the fancy displays and scientific exhibits, the simply pleasure of checking out how her own shadow moved proved to be just as interesting.

Oh, and it didn't seem feasible, but it actually took us longer to get home than it took us to get there! 9 hours and 15 minutes. Not so much the kids fault as some crazy traffic.

It was a great adventure, but as Dorothy would say there is no place like home.

6 comments:

joyfulgirl said...

looks like so much fun! i would love to take maya to the exploratorium some time. love the pic of katie in front of the gg bridge.

xoxo

Jenny said...

Those books look great. I'm going to have to check those out at the library and then maybe my kids will start asking to visit these places. You're so right...there's no place like home. Glad you had a fun trip.

Ross, Percy, and Anthony said...

Love the SF photos. I have to get those books This is SF and Paris! Anthony will love it. We were just there for Thanksgiving and it's always nice to go home. I grew up in Hayward.

Jenn Kirk said...

Your pics make me really miss the Bay Area! I love how there is so much to do in big cities.

Totally unrelated, but I have the third book if you need it. Finished the series yesterday. What do you think of it so far?

Becky said...

Jenn, I just bought the 3rd book! Oh well. I like the series, it holds my attention well enough -- not sure if I'm in love with the books though...

Jenn Kirk said...

I thought you'd like it okay. You being a writer and all, I can easily see why you're not a fangirl over the series. And as a warning, the third book gets really annoying at parts. A few people I know could hardly get past it, and it makes the fourth tough to get into. But I personally am into fantasy/sci-fi, so I didn't mind when the storyline got a little hokey. Let me know if you're interested in seeing the movie. Wouldn't mind seeing it a second time.