Monday, December 1, 2008

A Guanajuato Thanksgiving

While some of you are still coming off of a turkey-induced coma, I’m recovering from my own crazed weekend chockfull of family and friends – just not mine.

This weekend was my dear friends Lyndsay and Roberto’s wedding in Mexico.
So, instead of stuffing myself with cranberry, sweet potatoes and gravy I feasted on enchiladas mineras, chilaquiles and Pacifico in the city of Guanajuato.

The city was beautiful. The streets are all cobblestone, there are no streetlights and no neon is allowed. The result is a wonderfully vibrant city which holds all of its old-world character and charm.


While I have been to a number of very fun and interesting destination weddings – from Hawaii for the Paks and Montana for the Webbs to a break dancing demonstration by the groom and groomsmen at the Torgersons wedding in Minnesota – this wedding definitely takes a top seed placement in the “unique and memorable” category.

There is so much to tell, but I think I'll tell you about the reception, which I can only describe as incredible. The entrance of the wedding party, the toasts and first dances were tame enough, then – enter the band.

Let me start by saying this was no ordinary band. It consisted of no less than 10 members. Two women, and a bevy of men and boys (I would guess ~13 years old). They played from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. straight. This band gave us a full-on show, complete with costume changes. I counted at least a half dozen.



Then, to add to this, every half hour or so the band passed out new “props” for everyone to enjoy. The props were to make the festivities, well, more festive I guess. They came out in what I think was this order…
- Bananas & watermelon headbands
- Balloons
- Cowboy hats & assorted straw hats
- Ties
- Wigs & Aprons
- Foil wands
- Antler headbands
- Then, last but not least -- Wrestling masks


When the band finished at 2 a.m., a chilaquiles breakfast was served.

And, what better to go with your 2 a.m. breakfast than a huge mariachi band?
The music ended around 3 a.m. or so, but from what I understand party-goers were hanging around until around 4 or 5. I was long gone by then. Honestly, I was surprised I made it to breakfast and mariachis!
The reception was just one of many events and adventures, but I thought I’d highlight it because it was so – well, amazing.
The problem was I missed my family terribly. When I got home we had our own little fiesta with some of props…

3 comments:

Jenn Kirk said...

That looks so much fun! And you look great in your bridesmaid dress.

Did the girls come with or stayed home with in-laws?

Becky said...

No, the girls stayed home with the husband which was a bummer. It would have been a lot more fun he would have been there!

joyfulgirl said...

looks like a great wedding...very unique, but i can certainly understand wanting to share the fun with your man.