Saturday, December 27, 2008

It's a Mystery!

I love when Katie picks up on different words and starts trying to incorporate them into her vocabulary.

Her two recent additions are the words “certain” and “actually.”

Today she was drawing on her friend Amelia’s birthday card. She said she wanted to draw her and Amelia holding hands. Then she elaborated, “I’m certain I want to draw some bones for us.”

And, sure enough she drew a series of bones saying, “these are Amelia’s bones, and these are my bones.”

She also throws the word “actually” in front of sentences.

For example, there will be a pause in any conversation and she’ll say, “Actually I am getting taller right now.”

As a mom you also realize how often you must say certain phrases. You have those sentences you say without even knowing it – that is until you hear those phrases coming out of your 3-year-old’s mouth.

Katie asks on average approximately 35 questions each day before noon. I don’t know about other moms but it can be exhausting. I guess I must repeat a lot of the same answers because Katie will often say, “Maybe – we don’t know…it’s a mystery”– a phrase I know I say when I just don’t feel like getting into a full-blown conversation with her. We just crack up when she says this now.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Oh yes, I get asked "Why Mom?" about 2 zillion times a day! And now, when cars honk their horns...well...let's just say Ben has picked up on my driving frustration! Because from the backseat I hear..."GOOOOSH!!"