Monday, April 6, 2009

Filling Her Big Sister's Shoes

We have come to refer to Katie simply as The Destroyer in our household.

Her ability to decimate a room single-handily is unreal, and at times -- legendary.

Apparently, The Destroyer 2 (the sequel) is going to be appearing in our -- and perhaps in your -- household very soon.

Madeleine empties out the play kitchen shelves multiple times a day, and today she began pulling books off the bookshelf, for what appeared to be sheer sport.



Now, I remember Katie exhibiting similar behavior, but it didn't seem as bad and I just figured out why. Our house was set up different then. I didn't have anything down low for her to well -- destroy.

I didn't put books on the bottom bookshelf until Katie was old enough to want to pick her own books to peruse. We didn't get the play kitchen until Katie was 2-years old. And, we didn't have toys that consisted of 4,000 miniature pieces when Katie was 8-months old.

It is so different when you have that second child.

I'm thinking about putting a child lock on that blasted play kitchen door -- would that be bad?

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Isn't it amazing how fast they are at making a mess? Watch out of all those polly pockets pieces and shoes. Destroyer 2 is so cute!

Kate said...

I would not blame you one bit for locking the play kitchen door!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! I sooooo understand! Especially about the books, I get so aggrevated about Gwen eating books.... Yes she eats the spines off the board books. Literally completely gone, I told Greg just the other day I am about ready to pack them ALL up for a few months to save them from her need to feed on all products that are paper based. She is so bad that the Natzi's could have used her in lieu of book burning!