Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Blue Bucket of Death

Those of you with small children present may want to take this opportunity to shield their eyes.

Okay, ready?

In this bucket are over 300 dead snails -- drowned in beer -- all collected in less than 2 days.


We have snail problems.

We've had garden issues in the past -- neighborhood cats pooping in our garden and such -- but this one is particularly frustrating.

Katie and I planted a ton of flowers recently, and apparently we have become the neighborhood buffet for snails.

They have pummelled close to half of the flowers we planted which included an entire flat of pansies.

It's... Hitchcock-like (though a swarm of birds may be just what I need to eat all of these blasted snails!)

I've done research online about how to get rid of them -- there are lots of ideas, but I want to know what has worked for people. Any advice?

No poison. The whole kids and "the-run-off-will probably-end-up-killing-a-seal" makes me shy away from that.

3 comments:

jen@odbt said...

Ewwww! Glad you didn't share the inside of the bucket. No advice here - I have Bambi eating my flowers.

Laura said...

You used beer to kill them? I once couldn't bear to kill a very large bee and drowned it in bleach.

Kate said...

I think we poured salt on the ones that plague our small front yard.....Ben got creeped out...but it worked..