Friday, October 24, 2008

We See Dead Things

A couple of months ago we had someone new move in next door. She is the owner of three cats. Since then the sound of cat "gang" fights have become the norm. The first time I heard the screeching of one of those fights I was sitting by the open sliding glass door at night -- it scared the begeezes out of me!

Besides picking fights, the cat gang also enjoys a good hunt. We back up to farmland -- an orchard, so the hunting is apparently plentiful. We have found many, many "presents," as of late. The other day I went to get the stroller out for a run and found a dead blue bird in our driveway. I hurried to shovel it into the trash before Katie could see it. Later that same day I was mowing the lawn and found a little dead mouse in the grass. Nice.

The very next day I found a dead lizard on the side yard. The following day we were outside and my husband found another little mouse in the backyard.

Friday, I was feeding Maddie when Katie came up to me and said, "What's that?" She pointed out the window. "What sweetie?" I asked as I turned my head to look and there was a mouse -- no let me re-categorize that -- a rat lying there on the back patio. I panicked and said "I don't know honey."

Katie very matter-of-factly stated, "Mom it's a mouse." She studied it for some time and asked, "When is it going to wake up?"

Umm....

I skidded around questions. I mean she's 2 for peet's sake, what am I going to say?

I forgot to pick it up that morning, so Song came home while we were out and took care of it and another small "sleeping" mouse he found in the yard. When we were pulling back into the driveway before nap time Katie asked me, "do you think the mouse woke up?"

She ran into the house and to the back glass door and said excitedly, "Mom it woke up and it's gone."

I swear, that kid's brain is a steel trap sometimes. And, then other times she can't tell you what she had for lunch!

Don't worry, there are no pictures with this post...

No comments: