Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Friends

When you have kids for the first time -- socially, it's like being a freshman in college all over again (except you already have well more than 15 pounds on you).

Other people with new babies are suddenly open to talking with you. It's a rare time in your life to make new friends -- exchanging phone numbers or email addresses seems almost natural.

I mean when you're single and you're out for a run at the park, you don't chat it up with other runners and get phone numbers (unless you're that guy).

I have met a lot of wonderful women and men in the short three years since we've had Katie.

Somehow in the midst of the crying, teething and general madness of having babies I found a core group of women who are my family here.

They are there for me when I need to talk (or cry) about -- well, anything from baby and husband stuff to what-the-heck-is-going-on-with-my-body stuff.

We had a picture of our kids taken when they were six months old.


And, we recently had another taken now that they are three.

I love each of these children like my own.

I only hope that we remain half as close as we are now 5, 10 , 25 years and beyond from now.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I love what you have with your friends. You all are going thru the same phase of life and it's so reassuring to have friends who can relate. I love the pictures. Who's the lucky boy with all the cute girls?

miyo b. said...

omg - thanks for making cry first thing this morning!!! i love seeing those pictures next to each other - all of the wonderful memories from the past 3 years just flashed through my mind.

Kate said...

those pictures are too cute! isn't it a wonderful thing to know that you're not alone as a mom?! and that your kids have others they can remember growing up with?

Laura said...

You're so right. This time in our lives presents such an unusual opportunity to make wonderful friendships. Those pictures are fantastic. I can't believe you could get all six of them to cooperate at the same time. Beautiful!

dana said...

What an adorable idea! SO cute.
I'm glad you've made some good friends in your area. I totally agree...it's an important thing for a mom!