Friday, August 13, 2010

$0 spent

Last year we took the kids to opening day of the fair with the goal of doing minimal damage to the pocketbook.

Today, the girls and I went back with the goal of spending $0.

That's right: $0 spent.*

There is actually quite a lot to see and do at the fair, and if you get their early it's not insanely busy.

we had ring-side seats for pig racing, the highlight of the day

I had to make sure Kaitlyn understood the rules before going. She begrudgingly agreed.

Apparently a fair without rides, is better than no fair at all.

We headed out early to get a free parking space in downtown and walked to the fairgrounds.

Baby pigs at the fair were a big hit with the girls


It was really nice because we weren't rushing around to see everything.

We did things like stop to see the Amtrak train go by.


We sat down and watched the livestock auction.

Katie was captivated. We ended up staying and watching this for longer than I would have ever expected.

And of course there was Muttin' Bustin' -- kids under 6 and 60 lbs. trying to ride sheep.

I asked Katie if she wanted to try. She declined.

Our friends Zach and Dylan did it earlier in the week. I so wished we could have seen them do it.

I bribed the kids to walk back to the car with some cookies.

We're actually headed back to the fair again tomorrow if you can believe it. Katie has a tap performance. Also, we'll be with Mr. Pork-Chop-on-a-Stick (a.k.a. Papa), so I'm guessing it won't be a free day. But oh well, at least today was.

* While kids under 6 are free, adults are not so here I have to thank the VCF and my editor for a courtesy press pass.

1 comment:

Alely said...

love that you spent $0 and had a great day!