Wednesday, August 26, 2009

lovies

Sounding a bit like a British-ism foreign to us Americans, I had no idea what a "lovie" was before I had kids.

Now, both my children have one.

Katie's lovie is White Bear. I asked her once if she wanted to give him a name like Steve or Mike.

"What do you want to name him honey?"

She looked at me blankly, "White Bear."

Maddie has two lovies: her little Curious George blanket and her thumb. They essentially go hand-in-hand. As soon as she grasps the blanket the thumb almost automatically enters her mouth no matter where she is or what time of day it is.

I try really hard not to let the love for the lovies go too far but they find so much comfort in them.

"Mama," Katie said the other day, "I want to keep White Bear for ever and ever because I love him so much."

Enough said.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I too had a lovie....my Dad finally got rid of it when I was like 10. Neither one of my boys though are attached to anything like that....I kind of wish they were...

miyo b. said...

don't know if you've noticed, but "pink" doesn't have to go everywhere with us anymore.

Jenn Kirk said...

I remember trying to push Moosey Monkey on Kai as his lovey when he was little. Just give my boobs a break. But now that he's almost 4, he's all of a sudden attached to this little monkey. Kids are funny. Wonder how long it'll take them to grow out of their attachments, and how awful that day will be if I ever lose the thing.

jen@odbt said...

How did I miss this cute post? The pic of Maddie reminds me of my daughter. She had her raggie (a cloth diaper), find the corner the thumb into her mouth. It was so cute. She still sleeps with her raggie but no more thumb.