Friday, July 24, 2009

lychees for me


I was so happy to find fresh lychee at Trader Joe's yesterday. What a treat!

My goong-goong (grandpa) used to buy these in Chinatown and peel them for me.

If you haven't tried them before you peel the hard red part off to find a fleshy almost translucent grape-like fruit underneath. The flavor is sweet and a bit floral. There is a pit in the middle. They also sell them canned at Trader's as well -- but I like the fresh ones better.

So, go get ethnic and try them!

3 comments:

jen@odbt said...

Yum. I remember pulling them off trees in the Philippines. We used to call them octopus eyes.

Jenn Kirk said...

I've never had them fresh. Only in those little jelly cups. But hooray for Trader Joe's for being ethnic! I should petition them to start carrying halo-halo supplies.

miyo b. said...

yum!!! i'll have to go and buy some! i love lychee fruit!