Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I Heart Quiet Time

One of my very worst nightmares materialized last month -- Katie stopped taking her nap.

Her nap was like clockwork for what seemed like forever -- punching in at 1 p.m. and out at 3 p.m. Refreshed from her nap she was a new child, ready to take on the rest of the day.

In January bedtime got really hard. She would throw huge tantrums -- complete with the whole "I'm going to get sick" routine. Night after night bedtime was a struggle. My husband literally needed a drink some nights. And I, well I guess I just blogged more about happy and funny things trying not to think about the little monster she had become at night.

Finally we decided to drop naps altogether and -- wa-lah -- bedtime issues disappeared.

Since then I have instituted Quiet Time. I stole this from my friend Carrie. Quiet Time rules are simple: No Talking. This means no asking questions, no making loud noise, no television... silence.

It's only a hour, but I RELISH Quiet Time.

Katie normally has Quiet Time on the couch. We get her all cozy, pick some books out and she peruses them.

Sometimes this happens...


Which means we'll be in for it at bedtime.

But what can you do? I mean the girl falls asleep in an upright position!

2 comments:

Kate said...

I've taken to using the word "rest"..just rest...and a similar picture can be found on my couch most days.

Jenny said...

I feel for you. All my kids gave up their naps at 2-1/2. Can she play quietly in her room? I instituted this with my daughter b/c her little brother was napping at the time and it was gold. Even to this day, she asks if she can go play in her room. Stay strong and yes it's tough b/c they still need some rest. Love her dress.