Friday, August 26, 2011

first week of kindergarten: check

Katie on her first day of Kindergarten this week.

Being pregnant was difficult. Labor was tough. Mastitis sucked. Potty training an only slightly bumpy road.

But getting my 5-year old to school at 7:55 a.m on Friday -- for me, this was a near impossible feat. Now, before you respond similar to how many of us west coasters did in response to the "big" east coast earthquake -- "wah" -- understand I am not a morning person.

"Mama, your eyes are red," Katie told me this morning when she hopped over to me.

"Yes, well Mama's eyes don't' like being open this early."

Some (like my husband) might call it lazy, but I don't think the act of wanting to sleep in a little should be so villainized. I mean, it's my little pocket of "me" time before the day becomes, well, less about me. I mean if Jack Johnson preaches to "wake up slow," how bad can it be?

Oh yes, and Katie has been doing great at school. Where has the time gone, etc., etc. No seriously, I am sad -- my babygirl goes to real school now.

Also, I am glad no one was hurt in the earthquake... just like poking a little fun.

8 comments:

dana said...

awww. she looks so cute! And are those Old navy silver shoes? I bought some for Lucy but they're a size too big and I'm having the hardest time finding her more shoes. Grrr. Should have started that quest sooner than the week of school :).
Congrats on getting Katie off! She's going to love school.

jen@odbt said...

She looks so cute on her first day. That is an early start for school. I'm going to have a hard time getting up myself...we've enjoyed sleeping in this summer. Glad to hear she's enjoying school too.

Bel said...

Awww!!! Must have been a proud moment for you! Your girls are absolutely gorgeous. Are they Eurasian? :)

Thanks for leaving a comment on my guest post. I'm so glad you enjoyed the DIy projects.

Belly B :)

Lyndsay said...

I can't believe that she is in Kindergarten already! It seems like just yesterday you were pregnant with her! What a cute pic of her on her first day of school!!

jozen said...

haha! glad i'm not the only one...

pia starts preschool in a week and zoe is in grade 1! where has the time gone ?!?!

Sandy a la Mode said...

she is sooo cute in her little glasses!!!!

Jenn Kirk said...

How is week two going? Are you amazed at how quiet (and easy) it is with just one child? Somehow we are all going to become morning people. Somehow.

susan said...

She is sooo cute!!!! And two, I can totally vouch for your dislike of an early morning!!! I miss yah!!!