Tuesday, February 28, 2012

broken wing

Katie broke her arm last week.

The last couple of days have been a blur.

The good news: she didn't have to have surgery however, it's still too swollen for a cast. This makes me a little nervous with only one side of her arm protected with a splint.

Broken bones, I'm finding are all too common and I've received a lot of advice which I have welcomed. So, I ask:

-- What tips do you have for bathing? A friend recommended this, anyone else try this or something else like it?

-- Katie has trouble sleeping and is uncomfortable, beyond basic pillow propping, any ideas?

-- It's her right arm -- and, yes, she's right-handed -- any thoughts on activities you can do with one hand?

thanks in advance for sharing...

8 comments:

jen@odbt said...

Oh poor baby! Since she hasn't gotten the cast yet, I recommend getting the waterproof cast. It is worth the extra money and from what I remember it was only $25 more. So worth it. You can bath, shower, swim, etc. My son broke his arm when he was 3 and it was before we went to the beach and he was fine in a waterproof cast!

Sleeping...I bought one of those squishy pillows to prop under his arm but since he was 3, I don't think it stayed in place.


I hope she feels better soon...

Kate said...

You should talk to Jen Dawson. Sharla just got her cast off.... :) What bummer! Have a glass of wine Mom...she'll be fine! :)

Jennifer said...

I will email you.

Jennifer Young said...

Poor baby!! Sad to hear about her injury. I can't say I have any tips though, sorry!

gena said...

Yikes! Sorry to hear about your daughter's arm. I haven't run into this problem with my kid (knock on wood) so I can't offer any advise. But I hope your boo's spirits are up and she's getting along ok.

Jenn Kirk said...

We have copious amounts of Pillow Pets, that helped at night. And Kai took pain reliever a couple times a day.

How is Katie handling it emotionally? Kai was pretty distraught.

Did the orthopedist tell you about using the blowdryer for itches?

Also, the day you get the cast off may be difficult for Katie. Kai's arm was really weak and not quite 100% which was upsetting.

Hope you guys get through it with chins up. I know how difficult and worrisome it all is.

shenandoah valley bed and breakfasts said...

Really sad to hear this. May she be healthy and fit again.

Alely said...

awwww....i hate that for katie! looks like she's adjusting well to the cast and still looks like a happy camper!