Saturday, August 29, 2009

adventures in television

I’ve tried in vain – I don’t know what I was thinking – to explain the difference between live and recorded TV to Katie.

“Honey can you fast forward real life?”

“No.”

“That’s kind of like real television, you can’t fast forward it.”

“But you can freeze live television?” asks Katie cautiously.

Umm, yes.”

And, yet again I’m backed into a corner trying to explain something to her.

I know I shouldn't even be having this conversation with her. It’s a lot to ask a three-year old to wrap her head around. But, it feels like at least every other day I get…

“Mama,” while watching a recorded Dora show which is showing a ‘what’s next’ advertisement, “Diego is going to be on next, can I watch it?”

The other day she was watching Arthur on live TV – because, as she explained her friend Jake likes the show. We paused it to go the bathroom. Ten minutes later (long bathroom trip) we get back and she insists on pressing the button herself.

She presses “last” instead of “play,” and the TV switches to the channel it was on – before Arthur -- which was of course, ESPN.

She was livid. And even more so after I told her we couldn't go back to the same place in Arthur anymore because we were watching live television.

I suppose in the end when it comes to technology savvy she will most certainly usurp me as each previous generation has done with their parents. In the end she most likely sigh patronizingly at me and show me how to use my new phone, television, beaming device, etc.

5 comments:

jen@odbt said...

Your chart cracked me up. I already know my kids are going to teach me to text. I have no clue.

Jenn Kirk said...

Isn't kids + technology kind of scary? Kai is already addicted to going to a friend's house so they can play Star Wars Legos. On the Playstation.

Kate said...

Ben can work my iPhone as well as I can.........and we have had the same conversation. He now requests shows to be recorded.........can you imagine if they had to live in the world of taping things to a VCR?!?!

Laura said...

Oh...that is so funny! I've had the same troubles myself!

Unknown said...

That is the funniest post I've seen in a long time Becky. PJ is having the same issues with DVR technology.